- Bold, Crisp, and Elegant: White Boot Options For Your Closet, A Guide - January 3, 2022
- Sexy, Chic, and Elegant: Five Sheer Blouses You Absolutely Need - December 28, 2021
- 9 Cutest, Coziest Mock Neck Sweaters - December 23, 2021
When we talk about a blouse, we usually refer to an upper garment used mainly by women. Curiously enough, though, that’s not the definition it had one hundred years ago. Language changes depending on the use people give to it, and “blouse” has suffered a similar fate.
For example, there are lots of English expressions that are now in disuse. And some other words have changed their meaning — including the definition of the word “blouse.”
The History of the Silk Blouse
As stated in the introduction of this article, the blouses appeared as a necessity. At first, the purposes of the blouse were anything else but fashionable.
In 1890, there was a new type of blouse: the shirtwaist. Women had more clothing options, and they could choose if they wanted their shirts to be masculine or not. Some options to make it more feminine were using fabrics like silk and ornaments like lace.
From 1895 to 1897, people could buy blouses at low prices. You could think this was good for the industry, but most of this mass production was the product of exploited labor.
Now, fast forward to the 1900s and to something positive that happened around this time. The illustrator Charles Dana Gibson (1867 – 1944) liked to depict beautiful women wearing shirtwaists.
When he first started painting these women, he probably didn’t know that he would create a revolution. In fact, “the Gibson girl” is considered the first woman beauty archetype ever created.
As fashion was changing, shirtwaists stopped being so elegant. Not as a bad thing, but now women could wear blouses in a more casual setting. By the 1910s, the blouse’s collars were more carefree, and women could even wear them as sportswear.
If you were a woman living in the 1900s and you wanted success, a good outfit was a blouse with a skirt. Suddenly the blouse was trendy, and it stayed that way until now, one hundred years later.
What are the Top Silk Blouse Ideas?
Phew! We know you’re eager to see what blouses we’ve picked out for you, so we won’t make you wait any longer. But first, we will explain which criteria we used to pick the best ones.
Our Selection Criteria
Now, what everyone (including us!) was waiting for: the top silk blouse ideas. You see, when we choose the final pick, we make sure the blouse has specific characteristics that make it eligible for the list.
Those factors vary, but we choose them with the purpose of giving you up-to-the-mark silk blouses. Today, the criteria will consist of fabric, sizes, user reviews, versatility, color, and style.
- Fabric. This was the most significant factor. If we’re talking about silk blouses, the higher the quality of the blouse, the more chances it had of making an appearance in the list. Most blouses on the list have 100% Silk in their fabric. Some of them have Grade 6A Mulberry Silk, the highest quality silk on the market.
- Sizes. Because we know not every woman has the same body type, we decided to include silk blouses with a wide range of sizes. Most of them have sizes ranging from XXS to XXXL.
- User reviews. We’re sure you have heard of the “The customer is always right” saying. We considered that, and when picking a blouse, we checked the opinions of some clients. For example, if they thought the fabric was smooth and comfortable, the blouse had high chances of making it to the list.
- Versatility. If you are going to buy a blouse, you probably have in mind what you will wear with it. What’s more important, you also know in what kind of setting you will be wearing it. Is it for work? Is it for a party at night? If we saw a blouse that looked good with all of that, it could make it to the list.
- Color. Every woman can know her best clothing colors according to her skin tone. However, we love colorful blouses and neutral color tones. There was no distinction about that in our picking. If a blouse had many colors from where to choose, it had a high probability to appear in our final pick.
Now, let’s get to the top silk blouse ideas!
Lily Silk Basic Concealed Placket Silk Shirt
You can wear it with pants or jeans, but there’s no way you can go wrong with it. Another charming detail was the buttons made of pearls, complementing this beautiful blouse.
- There is a range of sizes to choose from: XXS, XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL, XXXL, and XXS.
- If you don’t find the size according to your body, you can customize your own blouse. (It will cost you a little more, but you can send your measurements, and they will make you a blouse according to it.)
- Even more colors to choose from. (These include White, Claret, Navy Blue, Black, French Blue, Blue Haze, Pale Pink, Caramel, Light Caramel, Green Jade, and Dark Gray.)
- They also have a monogramming service where you can add your initials to any of their products. In this case, in the blouse.
- This blouse is one of Lily Silk’s best sellers.
- The fabric is made of 100% Grade 6A Mulberry Silk.
- It’s comfortable and breathable.
- The only disadvantage found is that you have to take good care of the blouse.
- Some tips include handwashing it or using a gentle cycle on the machine, do not tumble dry it, do not use bleach, and avoid direct sun exposure if you’re going to hang it.
- You’ll also have to use special detergents for silk fabric.
Silk Maison Oversized Boyfriend Silk Pajama Shirt
When we are searching for specific products, we make sure to include variety. With that, we mean a variety of sizes and colors. But, it also includes a variety of designs. This Silk Maison blouse had a fresh one.
It’s oversized, and we know larger clothes are trending right now. It also has a particular pajama cut (that’s also en vogue!) Besides, you can see the blouse is oversized but with a purpose.
The sleeves fit the model very well, but the fit goes until the top of her thighs. It only comes in one color, but they picked a good shade. It’s a rich chocolate color, impossible to forget.
- The blouse comes in S, M, L, and XL.
- It has mother of pearl buttons that make the blouse look stylish.
- It’s available in a chocolate color.
- The fabric is 100% 19 momme silk.
- User reviews say the material seems of good quality and it’s comfortable to wear.
- The blouse only comes in one color: chocolate.
- If you don’t like oversized clothes or the pajama blouse trend, this can’t be the choice for you.
WOW Fashion Satin V-Neck Lace Vest Silk Blouse
This WOW fashion silk blouse caught our attention as soon as we saw it. It has a beautiful and classy cowl neck that reminds us of a nightdress.
It looks notably elegant, but you can use it for the night or the office if you want to. It’s a hard-working piece that would look good with jeans or a skirt, which is why we decided to put it on this list.
- It has a variety of sizes: S, M, L, and XL.
- It comes in three colors: dark green, navy blue, and white.
- The fabric is made with silk and polyester.
- User reviews say the fabric is smooth and that the polyester makes it stretchy.
- They also say the quality of the fibers is impeccable.
- It has a friendly price, and it’s cheaper than other blouses on this list.
- There are not many options for the colors.
- User reviews say the sizes run too large, and it shows because of the size chart in inches they have on the website.
- Polyester blend does make it somewhat less breathable.
Lily Silk Light Boxy Short-Sleeved Silk Blouse
What we loved about this blouse is how smooth, comfortable, and elegant it is. The hem and cuffs are banded.
It has short sleeves and a point collar. But what most stands up it’s the boxy cut. It’s slightly oversized but gives the blouse a perfect shape. It’s also really versatile, and you can wear it with jeans, pants, or even a skirt.
- The blouse comes in different colors: Natural White, Light Camel, Navy Blue, Emerald Green, and Black.
- It comes in XS, S, M, L, XL, and XXL.
- The fabric is 100% Grade 6A Mulberry Silk.
- It has short sleeves while being oversized.
- It has a charming boxy fit that makes the blouse look modern.
- User reviews say the fabric is glossy and smooth.
- You’ll have to hand wash it and use special detergents for silk fabric.
- Some other tips include using the most available gentle cycle on the machine.
- Also, do not tumble dry it, do not use bleach, and avoid direct sun exposure.
Nap Loungewear Slashed Cuff Silk Blouse
This blouse made it to our final pick because of how unique it is. It’s not oversized, but it doesn’t have a tight fit, either. It doesn’t come in too many colors, but maybe because it doesn’t have to.
The simplicity of the white color makes the blouse look even more chic. Besides, you can style the blouse with some jeans or even a skirt if you want to look more elegant.
- The blouse comes in two classic colors: black and ivory.
- It comes in four sizes: S, M, X, and XL.
- The blouse it’s made with 100% 6A Mulberry Silk. The official website describes it as “water-like.”
- It’s an original design, unlike the others in this list.
- The fabric is soft and smooth.
- There are not many options for the colors.
- The design is not for everyone. (Some women prefer something more modern.)
Everlane The Clean Silk Relaxed Shirt
If you want more of a classic silk blouse, don’t worry! We got you. This blouse has a round hem and a pointed collar, which maintains the classic premise. At the same time, it also gives us more of a relaxed fit.
You can wear it with shorts, skirts, or jeans. User reviews say it’s very suitable for summer, as well.
- It’s available in sizes ranging from XXS to XXL.
- The fabric is 100% silk.
- It comes in a range of beautiful pastel colors: Rose, Blue, French Blue, and Pale Blue. (It also comes in White and Black.)
- According to their official website, Everlane makes sure their blouses are dyed with safer dyes for the environment and energy-efficient sewing machines.
- User reviews say the blouse is light and flowy.
- The design might be considered too classic for some women.
- Some reviewers found it too sheer and transparent.
Lily Silk Classic Pearl Button Silk Shirt
As soon as you see this blouse, you can see how inspired it is by traditional and classic silk blouses. It has the primordial aspect of it while at the same time keeps it modern.
It also has that nice mother of pearl buttons Lily Silk is so fond of. At first glance, you’ll think it would look better in a formal setting, but we believe it can look good in an informal one, too.
- The blouse is available in XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL, and XXS. Almost every size you can think of, they probably have it.
- If you are picky, they have this blouse available in different colors like Rosy Pink, Green Jade, Light Camel, Blue Haze, French Blue, Navy Blue, White, Clare, and Black.
- The blouse is made with 100% Grade 6A Mulberry Silk.
- User reviews describe the fabric as soft and light.
- It’s one of Lily Silk’s best-selling blouses.
- If you are a busy person, or if you need some clothing that doesn’t require that much maintenance, maybe this is not the blouse for you.
- You’ll have to hand wash it and take care of some other aspects like not using bleach or not tumble drying it.
- Plus, you’ll have to use special detergents to avoid any damage to the blouse.
Everlane The Clean Silk Short-Sleeve Notch Shirt
We like variety, so we decided to include a short sleeve silk blouse in this list. It has a notched collar, a straight hemline, and a boxy fit. This one is more informal, and even if it works great with some pants, it works even better with jeans.
When this brand makes their blouses, they do it with energy-efficient lighting and sewing machines. They also use dyes safer for the environment, so the making of this blouse is safer for planet Earth. Kudos for that!
- It comes in three colors: Grey White, Pale Blue, and Cayenne.
- The blouse is available in sizes that go from XXS to XXL.
- The fabric it’s made of 100% Silk.
- The V-neck gives the blouse a feminine look.
- The top is a little shorter on the front side and longer and the back. It’s a style, but not every woman likes it.
- Taller women find it to be a crop top.
- Reviews state it runs a little small.
Frequently Asked Questions
Answer: The good thing about blouses is that they are multifaceted, meaning you can wear them with pretty much anything you want. If you want it to be formal, you can. If you need to look more casual, it’s your choice, and you can also do it.
However, silk blouses tend to look classier and more sophisticated than other kinds of fabric, so it’s kind of hard not to look very formal every time. The trick resides in knowing if you want to be one or the other. But don’t panic yet! We will take a pause here to help you.
For a more casual look, we have our inseparable best friend from all time: jeans. They can be mom jeans, skinny jeans, or vintage jeans. It all depends on your style and what you feel more comfortable with.
Skinny high-waisted jeans are an option, but every day more and more women are using oversized jeans (like the mom or boyfriend jeans) so, it’s up to you to choose. You can achieve a sporty casual look if you wear this outfit with sneakers.
On the other hand, most outfits with high heels and jeans will look classy, elegant, and posh. The same goes for the skirt; it’ll make you look more feminine.
So, it’s kind of your choice, because you can wear almost anything with a silk blouse. The final decision will depend more on your taste and preferences.
Answer: We kind of explained it in the response above, but we can elaborate even further! You see, as we explained earlier, it all depends on what’s trending. If you prefer the grunge or streetwear styles, jeans a little oversized are the best option.
You can search for them; some distressed jeans are also excellent. Distressed jeans are jeans that are purposely damaged to look older, but you probably know it already. In the last few years, they have become extremely trendy.
Most of the new jeans in the market are high-waisted, and it’s refreshing to see them after all the low-rise jeans that were trending in the 2000s. (What were we thinking, by the way? They’re terrible!) Besides mom jeans, there are also high-waisted skinny jeans.
Now, if you want to look more formal, some pants are also a good choice. Some fashionistas suggest wearing a pant with a different color or different fabric that the one you’re using in your blouse. Some others recommend the entire contrary.
For example, a total look is when you dress with the same fabric or the same color in all your outfits, and they are quite elegant. The fun thing about fashion: it’s constantly changing, so you can always experiment and see what will suit you best in the long run.
Answer: Picture this. You are going out to work, you already have your outfit ready, but when you look out the window, there’s a catastrophe: it’s snowing. Now you have to wear a coat, or a jacket, something! But you had your outfit ready, and you don’t want it to look like you just put a coat above it all, and that’s it.
Layering clothes is an art. The good thing (there’s always a good thing), oversized and layered clothes are trending. Some options to consider adding to your wardrobe include a denim jacket, a boyfriend cardigan, or a black blazer.
Answer: We all know that a silk blouse is essential for a woman’s wardrobe. At least that’s what every fashionista and designer says, right? But why is that? Why are they so important? We studied the subject and concluded that some factors come into play.
First, it can be the fabric. Silk is lustrous and sophisticated and makes everyone look good. So, that’s a point. Another good point about silk is how it doesn’t crease or wrinkle.
Besides the fabric, silk blouses have an inherent glamour associated with them since always. From 50 years ago to today, most women considered fashion icons at the time wore silk blouses.
Okay. So we have the fabric and the glamour, what else? Well, silk blouses are comfortable while being elegant, and we think that gives them bonus points. There are also lots of cuts, collars, and sleeves. So there’s also variety while being versatile.
Conclusion: Top Silk Blouse Ideas
Silk blouses, you make the world go round. They have always been there as an ageless classic, whether we want to wear them as casual outwear or formal clothes. The design of the silk blouse hasn’t changed that much either.
If we were to pick the best one, we choose the Lily Silk Basic Concealed Placket Silk Shirt. It comes in lots of colors and lots of sizes. The fabric is good quality, and it’s under $100. Besides, it comes with the customizable option; super considerate for women who don’t always find the right clothes according to their measures.
This one was a fun ride. We hope this article has been helpful in your way of buying your new silk blouse!